I am looking for an interpreter.
・You can look for an interpreter who helps you at Tsurumi Ward Office or schools through the interpreter dispatching systems. →click here
・Contact/apply to Tsurumi International Lounge(Tel: 045-511-5311) or the staff in charge(Tel: 045-664-4665) at Yokohama Association for International Communications and Exchanges(YOKE).
I want to learn Japanese.
Japanese-language courses for foreign residents are offered at Tsurumi International Lounge by the following organizations:
・Japanese Language Class「Nakama」(Tuesdays)
・Tsurumi Japanese Language Class (Wednesdays)
・Nihongo de Tanoshimu Kai (Thursdays)
・NPO Intercultural Exchange Group “Konnichiwa” (Fridays)
・1.2.3. NIHONGO SHIEN NO KAI (date/time negotiable, private lessons)
Japanese-language courses in Tsurumi Ward (other than the Lounge) are offered by:
・NPO Intercultural Exchange Group “Konnichiwa” (Saturdays)
・Tsurumi International Exchange Group (Saturdays)
For details →Volunteer Japanese Language Detail→Volunteer Japanese Language Class Map
Many other Japanese-language classes are offered in Yokohama City:
・Japanese-language classes offered by YOKE →click here
・Database of Japanese-language classes in Yokohama City →click here
I want to find useful information for daily life in my mother tongue.
・Daily-life information through the following list of websites and phone numbers →click here
・Important information/materials to prepare for natural disasters (such as an earthquake) →click here
YOKOHAMA Living Information Guide
This Living Information Guide is edited jointly by Sankei Living Press and the City of Yokohama.
The Guide includes information useful to all citizens of Yokohama such as emergency services, consultation services, administrative services, and other information useful in your daily life. YOKE provides translation in the following languages:
Useful Information Site
- How to Put Out Your Garbage and Recyclables
Data by the City of Yokohama, how to sort out garbage.
Information provided by the City of Yokohama regarding preparedness in the event of earthquake or flood.
- Crisis Management Manual “What to do at the time of Earthquake"(PDF)
YOKE, using the "City of Yokohama Safety Management Bureau" website as a reference, has revised the manual into a multi-lingual format.
- Medical Consulations
The Yokohama Medical Association Website. One can search for a hospital where the staff speak the language of one's choice; however, the search system (website) is available only in Japanese.
- MIC Kanagawa (English)
Website belonging to the multi-lingual Information Center Kanagawa. The website is only available in Japanese. MIC Kanagawa dispatches interpreters to designated hospitals.
- Public Counseling Office (Yokohama-shi Shimin Sodanshitsu) (Japanese)
This consultation service is provided by the City of Yokohama for its citizens. Special consultants including lawyers are available to provide consultation services on legal issues,
marital issues, parent-child issues, traffic accident issues and other issues. YOKE can arrange for an interpreter to be present.
- The Kanagawa Housing Support Center for Foreign Residents
Website belonging to the Kanagawa Housing Support Center for Foreign Residents.
- Earth Plaza Educational Consultation for Foreigners
Educational Consultation service offered by the Kanagawa International Foundation. The service is available in Japanese, Chinese, Spanish and Tagalog.
- Yokohama Labor Center, Labor Consultation for Foreign Residents (Japanese)
Labor Consultation offered by Kanagawa Prefecture. The service is available in Japanese, Chinese and Spanish.
- Hello Work Yokohama: Public Employment Security Office (Japanese)
This service, run by the national government, offers job-hunting assistance and employment consultations.
- The Immigration Office
Information regarding immigration procedures
- Hou Terasu Kanagawa
Offers free legal consultation. Legal matters are dealt with in Japanese. An interpreter (English, Chinese, Spanish) can be dispatched by YOKE.
- Yokohama Life Line: Suicide-Prevention Hot Line (Japanese)
Telephone consultation regarding mental health. It is available in Japanese, and English.
Other Information Websites Available in Foreign Languages
- City of Yokohama Website
Website for the City of Yokohama (Japanese)
- Kanagawa Prefecture Website
The prefecture’s outline, policies, and daily information in a number of foreign languages
- Council of Local Authorities for International Relations (CLAIR) Daily life information: multilingual services.
Daily life information website by CLAIR
- The Yokohama Convention and Visitors Bureau Official Website
Information on sightseeing in Yokohama
Links to Related Organizations and Groups
- Office of International Policy, Urban Management and Planning Bureau, City of Yokohama (Japanese)
- International Division, Community Relations Department, Kanagawa Prefecture (Japanese)
- Kanagawa International Foundation (KIF)
- Kawasaki International Association (KIAN)
- Sagamihara International Association (SIA)
- The Yamato International Association (Japanese)
- Yokosuka International Association (Japanese)
- Tokyo International Communication Committee
- Chiba Convention Bureau and International Center (CCB-IC)
- Chiba City International Association
- Saitama International Association
- The Saitama City Association for Global Awareness
- Ibaraki International Association
- Tochigi International Association
- Gunma Tourism International Association
- Council of Local Authorities for International Relations (CLAIR)
- Council of Local Authorities for International Relations (CLAIR) Citizens' International Plaza (Japanese)
- The Japan Foundation
The International Organizations within the City of Yokohama
- International Tropical Timber Organization (ITTO)
- Inter-University Center for Japanese Language Studies (IUC)
- The Regional Network of Local Authorities for the Management of Human Settlements (CITYNET)
- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) Japan Relation Office
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) Liaison Office in Japan
- United Nations University Institute of Advanced Studies (UNU-IAS)
- Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA Yokohama International Center)
- The Association for Overseas Technical Scholarship (AOTS) Yokohama Kenshu Center (YKC)